Message from The Chair of Governors
I am proud to be the Chair of Governors of this wonderful School. Stroud Green Primary plays a very important part in the community and is central to the success and happiness of its children. We see our pupils as entering on a journey with us – one that will give them a strong basis for development throughout their education and in their future lives. Every child matters as an individual and we aim to help each one fulfil her or his maximum potential.
My own background has been in education, with experience of schools, colleges and universities, and I have been Chair of a number of Boards. Your Governing Body has members from different walks of life, all bringing knowledge and skills that are needed to support the Head and the Staff. You, the Parents and Carers, are of course vital in enhancing the children’s success at School: we are a team.
If you need to contact me, please do so via the School Office.
Ann Robinson OBE
INFORMATION ABOUT THE GOVERNING BODY
The Governing Body is a group of volunteers who work alongside the Head Teacher to support the strategic leadership of the school. We have three core functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the leadership to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
Much of the work of the Governing Body is around the strategic leadership of the school, which means we support the school leadership team in making both good financial decisions and also making sure that decisions about children's education are good. We track the progress of the school, which means we look at how well our children are performing in their education. We also look at how well our teachers are teaching and support school leaders in helping them to get better.
Each month we hold a full Governing Body meeting and receive reports from the leadership on the progress the school is making. A schedule of our meetings can be found attached at the bottom of this page. All our meetings are open meetings and any parents or members of the wider community can attend to observe. If you would like to attend, please contact the Head Teacher n advance on firstname.lastname@example.org
Chair of Governors: Ann Robinson - Co-opted Governor
Contact Details: Office@stroudgreenprimary.com
Vice Chair of Governors: Elinor Stone - Co-opted Governor
Key functions of the Governing Body (Curriculum & Attainment)
- Challenges attainment levels in the school. We receive reports from school leaders about how well children are doing and ask searching questions about how we can continually make this better. We oversee any changes to the curriculum or introduction of new teaching styles.
- Oversee the provision for pupils with additional and special educational needs and for looked after children and children in care.
- Review the procedures in place to ensure the safety of pupils.
- Monitor the provision of wraparound care (e.g. breakfast club, after school club). We also review the school's relationship with parents and the wider community.
Key functions of the Governing Body (Resource management)
- Oversees the financial management of the school. We work closely with the Head Teacher and the School Business Manager to ensure we spend our budget wisely and with the most impact on children's learning.
- Consider personnel issues, including the best staffing structure for the school, ensuring appropriate staff policies are in place and monitoring staff wellbeing.
- Review the health and safety proceedures in place.
The Governing Body also has Link Governors to ensure the school is meeting its statutory requirements. Link Governors gain a greater level of understanding of their particular area, including meeting with their linked member of staff every term. Link Governors report back to the full Governing Body or the appropriate committee.
- Safeguarding - Charley Lintern
- Inclusion - Charley Lintern
- Data - Debbie Penglis
- Early Years & Nursery - Colette Millward
- H&S - Kate Ryan
- Pupil Voice - Charley Lintern
- Staff Wellbeing - Fatima Johnston
- Curriculum inclusing STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) - Mel Pearson-Sealy
Full details of all Governors, the Terms of Reference for each committee, the Work Planners for the Full Governing Body and each committee, the Code of Conduct for Governors and the schedule of meetings for 2018/189can be found at the bottom of this page.
The attendance record of governors for the 2018/19 academic year is set out below and is updated on a half termly basis:
In the last 12 months, the following governors have resigned from the Governing Body:
Sarah Caton - Co-Opted Governor - Resigned: July 2017
Sarah Butterworth - Co-Opted Governors - Resigned: December 2017
Roland Harwood - Co-Opted Governors - Resigned December 2017
Sophie Hall - Parent - Resigned Aug 2018
Nancy Campbell - Resigned Aug 2018